Tuesday, July 20, 2010

8 years ago today...I married my friend!

Posted by Picasa

Isn't it amazing how time flies? 8 years ago today, Stephen and I said "I do". We started a life together...taking it one day at a time. So many memories from that day and the days prior. I was in nursing school when we got married. We picked the WORST possible timing on that one! ha I had clinicals on Wednesday and Thursday of that week. I had a teaching project that I had to present on that Thursday and a case study and careplans due on that following Monday. Throw in a last minute nail appointment because you know those aren't allowed in nursing school and needless to say, I was stressed to the max! Thankfully, it all worked out and here we are 8 years later. Rehersal went well that Friday night despite a few "minor" problems! Brandon, one of our ushers, ended up going to the wrong church and my wonderful brother-in-law didn't need to practice his song. He had it "under control". Uhh.. YEAH! :) It seemed like we stayed at the church forever that night, making sure that last minute details were complete and everything was squared away. I said good night to Stephen and I went home to my mom's house. Malloree, my best friend and maid of honor, stayed the night with me at my moms house and we stayed awake until the wee-hours of the morning eating Rocky Road icecream talking and laughing. I think we ate that entire half-gallon on ice cream that night which is NOT advised when you are supposed to fit into a wedding gown that next day!

That next morning, we woke up and the race was on! We had to get an early start since we had hair appointments for me, 2 flower girls and 6 bridesmaids. I remember I ate a sausage biscuit while I was getting my hair done. I think that and some fruit was all I ate until later that night. I got to the church around noon that day. I was anxiously awaitng my aunts arrival from Atlanta. She had baked my wedding cake and was transporting it from her home in Atlanta and of course, I was terrified that something would happen and it would not make it in time for the 4:00 ceremony. Thankfully, she and the cake made it all safely. To this day, I still don't know WHY I felt that I needed a cake THIS large.

Anyway, pictures were made...Stephen and I managed to avoid each other during this time. It wasn't easy, but we did it! I am so thankful that I didn't know what all went on before I made it into the church until after the wedding was over! Remember Phillip? I mentioned him earlier.. he was my soon to be brother-in-law that was supposed to sing "A Parent's Prayer" during the seating of the parents and grandparents. Remember, he was the one who "didn't need" to practice...yeah, about that, he forgot part of the beginning of the song! ha

All the bridesmaids decided they were going to be cute and put jewels on their foreheads...all of them made it out the room without me noticing except Malloree. I saw hers and she took it off right before she walked out. My "little sister" Morgan RIPPED her dress walking up on stage. It was VERY LOUD and even louder on the video.

My daddy walked me up the aisle to Stephen and I think with every step I took, I told him "I'm gonna throw up.." Thankfully, that didnt happen!

Our friend Anna sang "When you walked into my life" by Lila McCann. My friend Sarah served as our pianist. My uncle prayed over us and our marriage and Stephen's pastor Bro Danny did the actual sermon that lasted FOREVER ceremony and vows. We lit the unity candle while Steven Curtis Chapman sang "I will be here". Stephen, bless his heart, burned his finger with the unity candle! It was rather funny to me. Shortly after, we were presented for the first time as Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Adcock and we exited the church. Once again, our crazy friends wedding party thought they would be cute...and thankfully, I had no idea until after the wedding. As we were presented and were exiting the church, all the groomsmen pulled up their trouser legs and revealed that they all PURPOSELY wore WHITE SOCKS!! The reason for this being that one of the last things I told them the night before was "make sure you pack your black socks!" What a bunch of goobers! We headed out to a feast in our fellowship hall.First we cut cake... Then we had punch... Then we had more cake... Then I was kidnapped by members of my bridal party! Stephen was given a ransom note and had to beg collect a ransom to get me back! This in itself was an adventure! Imagine getting 6 girls, still in their bridesmaid dresses and me in my gown into my mother-in-laws BUS van with my sister in law driving in the rain on unfamilar roads...ahh.. Memories! Well, he collected his ransom and they brought me back safe and we said our thank you's to everyone for coming to help us celebrate and we made our way to our get-away car. Right about this point is when I took a deep breath and checked out went WOW! My car had been decorated with saran wrap and paint markers and even my tires had been removed and my car was up on cement blocks! Yes, this really happened! Anyway, the tires got put back on and we ended up driving away in the rain, headed to the beach!

I guess we took the scripture to heart that was read over us...Genesis 1:28 "God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number" because 11 months later, we welcomed this little guy into the world...

Who has now become this handsome heartbreaker
Then 3 years later, we welcome this little guy into the world

Who has now become this sweet little guy

Sorry for the long post.. just wanted to share some pictures and memories with you guys! Everything turned out beautiful and we were surrounded by our closest friends and family. It was a beautiful day despite the brewing hurricane winds and downpour small drizzle of rain.
8 years ago, I married my best friend; the one I laugh with, live for and love. I am thankful for him and I pray God continues to bless our marriage and 8 becomes 80.

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”
So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. Then the man said,
“This at last is bone of my bonesand flesh of my flesh;she shall be called Woman,because she was taken out of Man.”
Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

2 comments:

  1. I got teary eyed reading this! I cannot believe how fast the time has flown, and I'm sure you think that everytime you look at your precious boys! Congratulations on 8 wonderful years of marriage, and as you said, here's to 80 more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed that post! Can't believe they took the tires off your car. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete